Sunday, February 26, 2006

Tai Shan Village


This weekend was such an amazing experience... back to the ROOTS! At first the thought of a 3 hour bus ride from Shenzhen was not exciting to me and once i got out of the bus things seemed so sketchy... and when i got to the school where my great grandpa has a memorial and where my grandpa has donated tons of things... there was flies everywhere!!! IF you know me well, there are only 2 types of bugs that I cannot stand; misquitoes and FLIES! After trying so hard to whim them away i just sat there like a cow and just let them fly all over me... except my face. Anyways the school was quite small and many kids were playing volleyball or just playing outside or heading home... once i brought my camera out all the kids were gazed and hypnotized... i even got a few pics of them. My aunt was telling the kids to get in teh picture but they were a little reluctant. I met the principal and he showed me around to all the places where my grandpa or great grandpa had some recognition. There was a memorial in the front with my grandpa's name or great grandpa's name ... i can't read chinese! I saw my relatives on the donation board... they all look so young, including my grandpa and my grandma.

After seeing the school i went to my dad's old village which was about 5 minutes away from the school. My grandpa's newphew (What Gwao) was taking us around... i got to see my dad's old house which was locked up and the shop that my great grandpa and grandpa use to work in from the 1930s!! We also got to see the markets and got a crappy massage in the village... looked so sketchy but it was only $10 yuan for one hour... what more could you ask for?? Our relatives took us around the market and you could see so many neat things... and some disgusting things... let's just say that it's TRUE... Chinese people do eat dogs... specifically puppies... i won't show you the cute pups for sale. You can get your worts/pimples and teeth taken out and your fortune told at the market... it was crazy.

When we went to dim sum the next day our relatives were so tired because someone from the Northern areas of China were trying to steal our relatives clothes at night with a pole. It was fortunate that they managed to scare them away. It really made me see the differences in lifestyle of living in the village... another difference is that they like to drink BRANDY at 7am... crazy.

Sorry i can't upload any other pictures for some odd reason but the above is the stove of my dad's old house.

1 Comments:

Blogger tiffany said...

they tried to steal their clothes with a pole?!


craziness...

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home